1953 W Gray St, Houston, TX
Mon – Fri 10 am – 7 pm
Sat 10 am – 6 pm, Sun 12 – 5 pm
Take just one step into Luke’s Locker and you can immediately tell you’re in a runner’s paradise; it’s one of the biggest running specialty stores I’ve ever seen! Luke’s offers a gigantic selection of many different brands, including some new, smaller companies you may have never heard of. Customers are very engaged with the store, and much of their merchandise selection is based on customer suggestions. The family-owned company started by selling running shoes out of a garage in the 1970’s, and it has not forgotten its roots. The staff is extremely friendly and knowledgeable, and all associates that perform gait analysis and shoe fittings are certified by three months of intensive training for a full time position.
One of the things that sets Luke’s Locker apart from other running stores is their intensive focus on community involvement. These people are passionate about running, and it shows! There is a group activity offered almost every day of the week.
- Monday – 5:30 am: The Bagel Run is a 30 minute out and back run open to all paces. Runners and walkers simply head out for 15 minutes, go as far as they can, and then turn around and come back. Bagels and coffee are available for free after each run, which includes about 20-30 people and is run every Monday, including holidays!
- Tuesday – 6:30 pm: Evening social runs are open to all levels. Distances very but are generally between 3 and 5 miles.
- Saturday – 8 am: Yoga for runners! Luke’s Locker partners with a different yoga studio each month to expose runners to different styles of yoga that can help them maintain flexibility. Breakfast is available after each session!
- Every Third Tuesday – 6:30 pm: YoRunGa is a combination workout in which participants run for 30 minutes and then complete a 30 minute yoga workout. All levels are welcome.
- First and Third Thursday – 5-7 pm: Luke’s offers an educational session on understanding GPS watches and heart monitors every other week.
- Second and Fourth Thursday – 5-7 pm: A running form clinic with video analysis is hosted by certified local coaches.
Quarterly, Tuesday at 7 pm: Viva La Run is a charity margarita run! Participants pay $15 to join in and get a taco and margarita after a 3 mile run. All proceeds go to benefit the construction and restoration effort at Buffalo Bayou Park! The next Viva La Run event will be held on November 5th, 2013.